Thursday, April 19, 2012

one long day...

Yesterday we were able to go into the slum and do a foot washing and jigger removal. It was one of the most extreme days I have ever had. We entered the village in the morning and that alone was completely shocking. This is severe poverty, malnutrition, no nutrition, zero latrines, diseases, shredded clothes (if any), jigger infestation. I don't think any of us knew what was coming. The strange thing about walking through an African community (such as this slum) as opposed to most American communities, is that you can happen upon ANYTHING. Sick babies, dying people, chickens or cattle roaming around, a mother giving birth, etc. it was so much to take in!
And then we began the foot washings. It was chaos. There were probably close to 500 children or more. We soon realized how big of a jigger problem this community had. They want help so badly because they know something is wrong but they don't know what and they don't have the resources to seek medical attention. Before I knew it, babies were being plopped down in front of me or on my lap for me to figure out what was going on. For those of you that know me well, I consult my mom (who is a nurse) on MOST medical questions. And, yet I found myself in this crazy position of putting on surgical gloves and beginning to cut out jiggers! Believe me when I say, His grace IS enough!! The time began to drag by and my eyes overflowed as a sweet little boy was screaming in agony as 25 jiggers were cut from his feet. I couldn't even wipe away my tears for fear I might give myself ringworm. About 10-12 of us worked almost 4 hours and only did about 50 children. It was overwhelming and exhausting and emotionally draining. And yet, I didn't feel like we even made a dent. But that is when God reminded me that He is in control. That, although the pain and suffering of this world deeply saddens Him, he is not overwhelmed or exhausted or emotionally drained. He continues to reign sovereign over all that happens across this world. And it's ok to not understand it because I'm not God, but I can rest in Him that does and who has promised me that He will come back and make it all right again one day.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was there with you to encourage you & to help get those jiggers out!!! I love you! mom

    ReplyDelete